* Signal installed on your Android phone or iOS device.
* Signal uses your existing phone number.
* The number must be able to receive an insecure SMS or phone call.
What will other people see when I message or call them?
* Your registered Signal number.
* Your Signal profile name and image.
* Note: Android users who have enabled Signal as their default messenger will send and receive insecure SMS and MMS messages using their mobile SIM card number.
* Note: Changing SIM cards does not automatically change your Signal number.
To register a number
1 Install and open the latest update of Signal on your Android or iOS device.
2 Enter and confirm your phone number.
3 Tap Register.
4 Wait for the SMS verification code to arrive. Alternatively, you can request a verification call if you can not receive SMS. After the timer finishes counting down, tap Call or I didn’t get a code > Call me instead.
5 If the verification code is not automatically detected, it can be entered manually and submitted.
6 Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the onboarding process.
Having issues registering? Follow these troubleshooting steps.
For your privacy, messages are only stored on your devices. Signal does not have a copy of your conversation history. New installs of Signal do not restore your previous message history. If you have your old device, use these steps to transfer message history to your new phone.
Not receiving the verification code?
* Confirm that you are within range of your mobile network and can receive SMS messages.
* Confirm you can receive a phone call to the number.
* Check that you have entered your phone number correctly.
* Confirm that you did not block messages from from unknown senders.
* Enter the full international phone number and omit any leading zeroes
For numbers from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, the number should start with +5521.
For numbers from Argentina, the number should start with +549.
* Contact your provider and confirm that you have not responded “STOP” to messages from unknown senders or opted out from receiving business or transactional notifications.
* If your provider is T-Mobile, Metro PCS, Google Fi (using T-Mobile), or other T-Mobile based service,
* To receive the verification code by SMS:
Call #611# and ask the representative to remove the “Shortcode Blacklist” for your account.
* To receive the verification code by call:
Call #632# to turn off Scam Block.
iOS Users: Go to iOS Settings > Phone > disable the setting Silence Unknown Callers.
* Google-Fi users can switch the underlying carrier. Here are some dialpad shortcuts you can use to switch out the carrier that’s backing your Fi connection.
*To see your current carrier info: ##fiinfo##
*Switch to T-Mobile: ##fitmo##
*Switch to Sprint: ##fispr##
*Switch to US Cellular: ##fiusc##
*Switch back to automatic: ##fiauto##